I made batts yesterday by blending two colors together using my drumcarder.
In the picture above, the top row is the original colors, and the next rows show the degree of blending. I stopped after blending three times.
Well actually it is Day 2 -4 but I can’t be bothered to change it now. I’ve been spinning Jacob fiber and slowly seeing some progress. It takes me about an hour to spin 10 g, so that is my target each day. I hope to get faster as the tour goes on. So this is white, light gray, gold self-dyed. The spindle is now as full as I can cope with so it will be emptied tomorrow with the three colors being wound into their own little pre-ply ball. Then I think I will get out my drumcarder and do some blending of colors.
Oh, a couple of firsts:
There is ~64 g of singles on this spindles. That is the most I’ve put on a spindle at a time (I think).
I spun ~20 g of fiber today. Again, IIRC, I have never spun that much in one day before. Perhaps by the end of the Tour, I can spin more than 50 g/day! I’m taking it slow as I don’t want to hurt my shoulder and not be able to spin at all.
I’ve been trying to roll my carded yarn into punis every since I saw one of my Ravelry spinning friends show off hers. I finally managed it:
I also started on the second half of the spinning my Babydoll Southdown fiber. I might even have yarn by the end of the week:
I have finished flicking and carding the Jacob I dyed yellow. My goal this week is to flick 200 g of white so that on Saturday I can dye fiber to make a color wheel.
MD398 is not clean enough so tomorrow I am going to rewash the locks I started yesterday. Combing was tough because the fiber was so greasy. I should also look for a source of power-scourer just in case more washing isn’t enough. However, spinning the top was lovely. I adore spinning Shetland wool and sometimes wonder why I bother with anything else.
I washed some of Pippit – I need a better way to take the locks from the fleece as last night it was too late to unroll the whole fleece so I just grabbed the nearest loss bits. However, I think it was the back leg as it is covered in VM. The fiber washed up nicely; I used lower temperature water, more soap and and extra rinse at the end.
I still have a few hours and hope to spin with my Trindle and knit on Dad’s cardigan.