I designed these so that the cable would start up the foot and then as stitches were added at the gusset and heel, the cable became wider. If you look closely you can see that the cables are different on each sock. I had a better idea of what I wanted the second time round.
Here is the gusset cable increase:
The cable isn’t quite right yet. I need to do some redesigning and try again.
Pattern: Seaweed Socks. A basic Toe Up sock using Judy’s Magic Loop cast on, 20 stitches total, increased to 52 (13 stitches on 4 double points)
Size: US 7/ UK 5/Eur 37
Needles: US 1 / 2.25 mm
Yarn: Zitron Trekking Color
Started: During Sock Summit (August 6th ish 2009)
Finished: Sept 17th 2009
The heel was narrow as that’s what I have and I didn’t add many gusset stitches (as I didn’t know any better then) so the heel is fairly short.
The initial cable is a knit 4, cable two, keeping the cable on top. I purled twice on the top side of the cable, and once on the instep. Essentially, it went *p1 K4 p2, knit foot stitches, p2 k4 p1 knit sole stitches* repeat rows as between * * except for cable rows when you held stitches in front or behind depending on which way you wanted the cable to go. Except for the p1, the cable patterns were on the top of the foot side not on the sole side of the sock. Thus there are more stitches between each p1 than between each p2.
The larger cable is double the first cable (described above), the twist of the second cable goes in the opposite direction of the first. As I went up the leg, I increased the number of center (noncable) stitches.
I think I cabled every 5 or 6 rows, but that was fairly random sometimes.
If any one is really interested, let me know and I’ll try writing the pattern out.