My second class at Sock Summit was with Meg Swansen and Amy Detjen.
Admittedly by this time, even though it is the first afternoon of the conference, I was feeling wiped out and a headache was beginning. I had eaten lunch at the convention center buffer, the food was great, but I really needed my afternoon nap. So my photographs are limited to the one above, even though I did get to try on one of the samples of arch-shaped socks. Despite how I felt, I’ll try to share some of what I learned in this great class.
Firstly, it is hard to knit and pick up stitches and count while listening to Amy and Meg pass on their fabulous tips. This also influenced my Wearable Art Stockings class.
Secondly, I did learn some knitting tips, but I can’t remember them all. There was a new to me method of picking up stitches along the side of the heel flap. Once the stitches are picked up, this method makes a nice edge without holes. I have to work this out before I can share it. I’ve used it on, and adapted it for, that cotton project I keep teasing you with.
Once home I was able to concentrate much better and last week I finished my pair:
As well as the information above, we were shown three ways of how to make one (M1). Well, six ways actually because each way has an opposite so that you can mirror your pick ups. As an aside, I found it amusing that Meg wanted to have her M1 paired but didn’t seem to mind if her twisted knit stitch was twisted or not every row! The three M1 were (Knitting Help has a swatch with links to videos showing these):
- Twisted yarn over AKA e-stitch AKA, on knitting help M1A/M1T
- Pick up strand from row below aka M1R or M1L
- Pick up thread from stitch below aka daughter/grand-daughter stitch aka, on video KRL and KLL
On the first sock I did increases using my preferred method which is (2) above but with this yarn it left holes:
So on the second sock I tried increases number 3 and it looks much better:
BTW The socks are too small for me to model, but my spectacle case makes a good model, doncha think?
We also found out that even experienced knitterati types need to test their patterns and if they make errors on their patterns you, the knitter, needs to be easy and take control of your knitting and don’t follow a pattern blindly. Be willing to change and adapt as you go.
If you look back at the above pictures you will see that the increases behave a little differently. On the first sock, I have two extra stitches on the left side. On the second sock, I was very careful to have the same number of stitches on each side so I ended up with three knit stitches together. When it came for decreasing for the toe, I didn’t want to have a purl stitch as the main decrease stitch so on the first decrease row I increased again at the middle. Here is a picture of them side by side with bits marked.
Part of this, apparently, was adapting the pattern for a child size sock. They didn’t want us to do too much knitting. But while adapting some errors crept in. Oh, yes, we were the pattern testers.
I am going to knit an adult-sized arch-shaped stocking some day. I am also interested to see if the pattern can be reversed and knit as a toe-up sock.