My current knitting is not very exciting. The Fluttery Top is still giving me grief – I finished the sleeves successfully; even though the photo makes it look as if they are different sizes, they are similar:
I started the body as written from the bottom up, except in the round. After an inch or two, I was struggling – all was not well – in fact, I was majorly messed up. Not only had I twisted my join (I hate it when I do that despite checking a dozen times); the diameter was too large by a third, so instead of the desired 95cm, it was ~125 cm. Aggh. After screaming and cursing a little I unraveled and decided what to do next.
This is it – I am never ever following a pattern again as I always have to modify. At a minimum, it is to fit my loose gauge. So I will take ideas from interesting patterns and adjust it to what I want to knit.
This time I started knitting from the top down, using Barbara Walker’s excellent book (or buy it from Schoolhouse Press). I have worked the short rows for the back shoulders and have another 3 cm (~9 rows) to work before switching over to start the front. I am a little worried about the lace edges to the neck, I have tried working them out on paper so that I can knit them upside down to how they are written but until I knit them, I will be uncertain of my success. It may be case of trial and error. I know I should knit a sample first before doing the whole top but this is against my nature. Feet first, pull out of mud patch afterwards, is the way I knit. I am not so much like this in the lab so perhaps I should put my lab cap on and be more cautious. I’ll let you know next time, what I do.