A friend from my local knitting guild sent me this link for a modular shawl which reminded me of my Diamond Cloak. Unfortunately, I only have a picture of the bottom:
I had started using my Chapel Hill yarn purchases to make myself a freestyle vest/waistcoat, when serendipitously I was going through my yarn looking for different colors. I realized that I had lots of “scrumbles” of different sizes from a previous freestyle cardigan attempt so perhaps I should finish that project off before getting involved with the next.
So using some tissue wrapping paper I cut out a pattern and then I laid my scrumbles on top. One problem was that I was too rigidly sticking to squares & strips and this just wasn’t working when I tried to put the pieces together:
So I decided eventually not to use any of those pieces. I think I’ll make an afghan or cushion cover with them later.
The sleeves came out better:
But I generally made my scrumbles too big. This is something that I have to work on. I started making new scrumbles using the same yarns and size 3 (US) double pointed needles. The needles are only 6″ long so this stops me making large scrumbles.
Since taking the photo the sleeves are complete and I am working on the body. I do more knitting than Prudence Mapstone as I am more comfortable with knitting.
I graft my scrumbles [can you tell I really like this word] together using a form of kitchener stitch, using a nearby yarn color. Somehow I prefer this to sewing! I also tried crocheting them together but this shows the join more.
It is great fun putting the different pieces on the pattern. I spend a lot of time rearranging the different pieces to fit together better. Like a jigsaw puzzle.